Does the term “thrift shopping” turn you off? Does your mind immediately conjure up images of dusty and musty rooms, packed to the gills with unwanted cast-offs, decrepit sweaters, and bizarre knick-knacks? I understand that thrift-shopping may seem like an unappealing and daunting task, the pros far outweigh the cons. Don’t believe me? Here are my thift shop faves!
1. Mustard 3/4 length tweed jacket-Ark&Co.-$4
2. Tan long-line blazer-BCBGMaxAzria (for real!!!)-$5
3. Peachy/coral pencil skirt-J.Crew-$3
4. Chunky oversized knit sweater-Express-$2
4.Polka dot cardigan-$3
5. Printed cardigan-$2
6. Olive green v-neck sweater-Banana Republic-$3
7. Tribal print sundress-$6
8. Green pin-striped button-up-Gap-$2
9. Greige waffle-knit sweater-$3
10. Black, white, and green plaid trapeze blazer-$5
If you want to experience the same thrift shopping success as I have, there are a few things you should take note of. First of all, lower your expectations. Don’t go out thrifting and expect to find a ton of designer duds on your first stop…lots of times going thrifting is pretty hit-and-miss. Second, have a creative vision. If you are handy with a needle and thread, chances are you can transform a hideous muumuu into a cute little dress for less than $5. Third, be patient. Thrift stores are packed to the gills, and oftentimes with a bunch of junk. Take your time to slowly peruse the selections. Fourth, thrift stores are amazing places to find vintage jewelry and scarfs. I probably have about 10 scarves that I absolutely adore that come from thrift shops.
(just a small portion of my scarf collection)
Go forth and explore your local thrift shop, and hopefully your endeavors will be rewarded.